Saturday, August 14, 2010

Can't Burst My Bubble

This week I had a lightening stroke of brilliance that was sparked by some exercises in creative thinking. I was trying to think of all the different ways I could vary the products I have by making them less expensive to purchase. After bouncing a few ideas around in my head I realized that a great way to do something affordably is to make it mini! I mean if you want a Coach purse but cant afford the original handbag, you buy the clutch or the wallet, right? So I thought I could make mini banners for centerpieces or put on top of cakes! That way, you could save money on a home made cake while still having it personalized! I have never seen anyone do it (and I have researched banners a lot), so after fantasizing about how incredible my idea was, I went to sleep perfectly content with myself.


On Friday, the very next day, I get an email from the lovely Sara, a client that I am helping with decor and day of preparations for her wedding. She sends me this picture:




and I about start crying.


Okay in hindsight my idea is pretty great with lots of great options for personalizing, but it's not a cure for cancer; it's a fairly simple idea. Lots of people in the decorating business could have and have thought of this. But I was so excited about my idea that it was kind of hard to take.


All yesterday evening I was feeling kind of defeated, like I had let all the air out of my balloon. I was feeling sorry for myself that I didn't think of it sooner and had a plain give-up attitude.

For the record, that is not a good way to go through life, or to try and run a business.

As I am reflecting on the events of the last day, (ie rethreads) I am remembering that to get what you want, you have to work hard for it. And there are free things in life, but you still have to put in the work to get them. So I have decided not to let my attitude be defeatist, but to work hard to make a quality product that is original to me and my style. That's all I can be is true to myself and what I believe in.

Okay, be ready for some cool process pics on the development of my new Mini Banner!

1 comment:

  1. So you're saying I'm the worst client ever. ;) Sorry! I think you should make lots of these, though. They'll be a hit!

    ReplyDelete